Wednesday 23 April 2014

God's resurrection power and Jesus' joy in the face of the utmost hostility!

Hi there, it's been a long time since I last posted, I know. Hitting a hard patch in my personal journey through raising a step-family has made me think about a couple of ideas: resurrecting this blog so I can channel some thoughts in a logical way onto a page (and hopefully help someone, anyone (!) out there in a similar situation) and re-reading some of the literature I picked up and literally (no pun intended!) devoured as I was thinking through how to make a good start on this long and difficult, but rewarding journey they call Step-parenting.

My husband said 'where did that really helpful book go?' and I subsequently dug out Flora McEvedy's exceedingly healthy, beautifully equipping book 'The Step-parents parachute: The four cornerstones to Good Step-parenting'. For the first time we are reading this book together (trumpets should sound!) and I am rediscovering some of my good intentions and thoughtful reflections I studiously pencilled into the margins of the introduction. It's a reminder that the going will be tough, but the hard work should be constant and well worth the effort in the long-run.

The truth is, I can't do this in my own power. My joy for the journey has got to be sourced in God. This weekend gone we celebrated God's explosive power in raising Jesus to eternal life, from the grave. That explosive power is in his word and in his spirit. So here's to resurrection power!

My prayer for today is that I would trust in God for his explosive power to overcome my own failings and the difficulties and produce the fruit of a gracious and constant relationship toward my step children, even when I feel like retreating and putting up barriers to protect myself from the ingratitude, hurt and hostility. Sometimes that hostility feels too much, but it's nothing compared to what Jesus endured on the cross. And for joy?!! What power is this?! Oh, how wonderful is the Lord Jesus!

...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.   Hebrews 12 v 2-3
 Thanks for reading - Quoting someone from Peter Pan 'I shall try to be worthy of my post'

Grace and peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment